[OT] Are we a democracy or a republic?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at uvlug.org
Thu Sep 1 22:45:30 MDT 2005

I have been hearing a lot about how we are happy to see democracy
developing in Iraq [1].  This lead me to think about us.  Are we a
democracy or a republic?  Are we both?

We have democrats[2] which advocate a democracy, and we have
republicans[3] which advocate a republic.  Do we possibly swing back and
forth from a democratic nation to a republican nation every 4 years?

Last time I checked we pledge allegiance to the republic and not the
democracy.  "I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of
America and to the *Republic* for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." [4].

This particular site [5] seems to be on a quest to inform us that we are
indeed a republic, and not a democracy.

Just thought I would send this off topic question out into the air,
along with the other fun off topic questions going around, and possibly
help my wife with her American History homework.  :-)

Oh and for my 2 cents, and my democratic vote, I say keep the plug list
as one, and keep the off topic conversations, and loose the flamewars.

Kenneth

[1] http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/30/bush.iraq.ap/index.html
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=democrat
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=republican