Power Trips

Brad Dorner bdorner at novell.com
Thu Sep 1 16:34:07 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 16:04 -0600, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:05:21PM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > However, it seems like there are subscribers who would prefer a Linux
> > support forum without the random commentary.  The name "PLUG" implies
> > a Linux support forum, after all.
>
> The name "PLUG" (Provo Linux Users Group) implies a Group of Linux Users
> with something to do with Provo.  I don't see anything about a support
> forum.
>
> I'm not on this list because I want support.  I'm not on this list
> because I want to provide support (though I try to do some of that when
> I'm able).  I'm on this list because I like interacting with Linux geeks
> and hearing what they're up to.  I especially like hearing about new
> things they've tried (we've had some great ones recently).
>

> > Are there enough subscribers who want that?  If there are a lot, we
> > should have separate lists.
>
> The problem with having a support-only-and-never-anything-else list is
> that many people who have some great answers to various questions don't
> want to sign up for a list where all they can do is answer questions.
> Frankly, things can really get boring if no one ever gets off topic.
>

> > If there are only a few, the best solution is for them to subscribe to
> > the list using a different email address than their main email
> > address.  That's what I do, in fact.
> >

> You can also filter.  Procmail and Thunderbird work really well.  You
> can also use them to filter out "OT" messages.  I really can't recommend
> filtering strongly enough.

The problem with OT topics is that not all of them have the same unique
pattern to filter on. I am in the process of filtering out what my
filters didn't catch. I'm not finding a lot of Linux related topics here
and a lot of them are primarily flame responses.

Having multiple lists is not a bad idea. A person can then subscribe to
what they want to hear about. Just linux? no problem. If you want to
talk with people who have similar interests, ie linux. no problem
subscribe to the plug ot list.

Filters don't solve your problems if there is no pattern to filter on.
OT is not unique enough or a pattern to guarentee that you are not
filtering out something that you want.

What is the problem here? Create another list for OT topics. That way
those of us who want linux related topics can get it without the crap.

Brad