Power Trips

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Thu Sep 1 15:02:18 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 02:15:54PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> On Thu,  1 Sep 2005 at 12:13 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > Also, perhaps it would help to rename this list to
> > "linux at plug.org", to gently remind posters what the topic is
> > supposed to be.
>
> I like constructive ideas. Let's talk about this. What you want to
> do is separate the community from the on-topic discussion. I submit
> that this is impossible. However it is a frequently-proposed idea so
> maybe we should try the experiment.

If human nature holds constant, the list will experience some activity
at first. Those who use the spin-off list will occasionally flame
people who send OT messages to the main list. Activity on the OT list
will wane, with two or three die-hard idealists continuing to use
it. Several months down the line, when activity on the OT list has
dropped to near-zero, the OT list will either be discontinued, or it
will just sit around in a state of perpetual stagnation.

In my book, the absolute best solution to the general problem of OT
messages is the ``[OT]'' in the subject. This makes it easy (a) for
humans to identify posts or threads that are of tangential interest or
(b) have a procmail filter in place that will toss messages with [OT]
to /dev/null. This is a social convention that I would like to see
gain more popularity among the masses.

Mike
Why is it that when everyone freaks out, I'm always the one who gets
the phone call?