Power Trips

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Sep 1 14:25:36 MDT 2005

Hans Fugal wrote:
> On Thu,  1 Sep 2005 at 12:13 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:

>>Also, perhaps it would help to rename this list to "linux at plug.org", to
>>gently remind posters what the topic is supposed to be.
>

> I like constructive ideas. Let's talk about this. What you want to do is
> separate the community from the on-topic discussion. I submit that this
> is impossible. However it is a frequently-proposed idea so maybe we
> should try the experiment. The best part about it is that the benevolent
> dictatorship doesn't have to be involved - anyone at all can set up a
> separate list and we as a democracy can decide to take our off-topic
> posts there. So I propose somebody set up this list and invite people to
> take off-topic discussions there.

It would have to be done by the administrator of the plug mail server.
(Is that you?)  Otherwise the list would be in a different domain, and
culturally, switching to a different domain feels like switching
communities.

Also, let me reverse the suggestion: plug at plug.org should be the general
discussion, and the new group should be more topic-focused.  However,
all current members should be subscribed automatically to the new
on-topic group.

Shane