OpenVPN Configuration (Was XP Linksys DHCP Hatred)

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 11:05:14 MDT 2005

On 10/28/05, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 at 02:11 -0600, Chris Carey wrote:
> > This talk about OpenVPN got me interested in it. I installed OpenVPN
> > on the OpenWRT linux distro on a Linksys WRT54G. After some work I was
> > able to get "routed" mode working. At this point the client can ping
> > the server machine and can connect to it. The client can not see the
> > rest of the LAN though. After many hours its getting a little
> > frustrating. In the docs it says that this can be solved using
> > "bridged" mode , which Ive tried. For some reason "bridged mode"
> > requires SSL/tls certificates . Created them, set them up. No go. Some
> > how-tos also say that it can be done in "routed" mode with more rules.
> > I prefer using "routed" mode with a secret key file. It seems to work
> > smoother at this point.
>
> I think you're confused about bridging requiring TLS, it does not. It
> would require you to set up the wrt with bridging which is not a walk in
> the park. In any case you should be able to get routing mode to work,
> all that will not work is broadcast traffic such as smb without wins.

Actually, depending on how you're using it you don't even need to set
up bridging on the server.  I use OpenVPN in bridging mode, but only
to bridge the clients together.  Rather than bridging network segments
together through the VPN I'm connecting each client directly to the
VPN "switch" that is the OpenVPN server.

About TLS, I think he's refering to the limitation of static key mode
to have only one server and one client.