Sound recording--sort of OT

Barry Roberts blr at
Sun Oct 23 20:29:06 MDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 05:05:59PM -0700, Michael Huston wrote:
> Okay,
> I need to know what would be the easiest way to record a ogg off of a
> DVD.  There is no soundtrack sold for the movie that I want to get a
> song from, and I need this  song on my MP3 player. The only place that
> I know that the song actually exists is on the 1970 version of Scrooge
> with Albert Finney. I am going to get the DVD, but I need to know if
> there is a good way to make an ogg of about five minutes of a DVD.
> Any Help,
> Mike

StreamDVD can be used to rip the audio stream.  It can usually rip
just a chapter.  mplayer can start at certain time (-ss) and write the
audio to a file (-ao pcm).  Dunno how to get it to stop after a
certain time, but it can probably be done.

Then use an audio editor as was previously suggested (Audacity, etc.).