Employment opportunities

Dreamer smorrey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 02:03:52 MDT 2005

Not really, alot of people who buy this and need to call support, will
likely be current and former windows users.

Therefore the understanding of how a person thinks that uses windows
and the ability to support them on a daily basis, should probably be
higher on the list of priorities than it already is.

Lets face it, Windows Users, even "MCSEs", really don't know much
about how things actually work, they expect things to work everywhere
the same way they do in windows, click a button here, check a box
there, click ok and we're done, and the fact is things don't in fact
work that way, especially when making a transition, windows to linux.

For example, I currently have 0 computers running any version of
windows, I was even able to finally rid myself  of emulated windows
environments such as Win4Lin.  Because of this, I have developed a
fairly good skill level in Linux, and a deeper understanding of
computing fundamentals.
Believe it or not, in my day job, McAfee technical support for Comcast
customers no less, my Linux skills translate well into the
troubleshooting aspect of my job, but I'm absolutely terrible, at
least on first try, at explaining to a customer what is wrong with
their computer.

Even though I work with it everyday, I feel I have at least to some
extent lost touch with the windows crowd.  OTOH, at least on my shift,
I'm one of the go to guys, when the other techs run out of
troubleshooting techniques, because they only have what they know to
draw upon, and don't really have a deep and fundamental understanding
of whats really going on when something does go wrong.

Anyways, long story short, if you're looking for Tech Suppot personnel
for pretty much any linux project, you need someone who shares some
common thread with the people calling, and folks who run Linux,
generally don't tend to call tech support if they can avoid it,
preffering instead to fix it themselves and feel that gleam of pride
and accomplishment.  That essentially leaves windows users to call
tech support.  Ergo, a recently former windows user, or at least a
person who understands the mindset of a windows user, is the ideal.

Regards,