NVIDIA Help

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:59:29 MDT 2005

Disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm doing. :)

Issue: I have an nForce motherboard with a built-in GeForce 3d
accelerator.  Without having installed the nvidia display drivers, I
was getting weird (annoying) flickering on my screen when running my X
server (XFree86, on debian).

So I downloaded and installed the nvidia drivers and made sure Load
"glx" was included in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Now when I start my X
server, I get no flickers (yay!) and I get nice framerates with
glxgears (yay!), but I also get a nasty resolution/scrolling problem
that I can't solve and is driving me nuts.

My X server seems to be running at a higher resolution than the
resolution of my monitor.  Certain parts of the desktop are off the
screen and in order to view them I have to move my mouse to the edge
of the screen and the whole desktop starts to scroll.  Arg!  I know my
monitor can handle a higher resolution than this, but how do I let my
display subsystem know this?  I didn't have this problem until I
installed nvidia. :(

Hoping that makes sense...
Stephen
--