[OT] Re: iPod or music player.

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Tue Oct 18 15:34:43 MDT 2005

On Oct 18, 2005, at 3:11 PM, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:

> I'm buying an MP3 player (after work) for my wife.  I've never needed
> look into them until now.  The problem is, I have to pick up the gift
> A.S.A.P. and don't really have time to research things like I would
> like
> to.
>
> I dig the form of the iPod and would consider it if I knew my wife
> could
> put music onto it easily with Fedora Core 4 or Ubuntu.  But, I would
> consider other suggestions also.
>
> I guess the only real qualification I have is it should work well with
> Linux and MP3 (Oggs would be nice).  Any recommendations?

There was a discussion on this recently on PLUG (the subject was
"Perfect MP3 Player").  I would recommend one of the iPods, depending
on your budget/amount of music you have.  The new iPod Nano is so dang
small and is pretty cool, but capacity is 2 GB or 4 GB, and if you can
afford the $299 you can now get the 30 GB iPod that does video, has the
bigger screen, and is 40% thinner than the 4th gen 20 GB iPod.

As far as linux goes, there are several programs you can use (gtkpod,
Rythmbox, etc), or you can run iTunes through Wine/CrossOver Office.  I
don't use those apps myself, so YMMV.  It doesn't do Ogg, but at some
point the iPodLinux project will have the alternate firmware working on
these new iPods, which will give you Ogg support.

Grant