Debian Runlevels

Hans Fugal hans at
Mon Oct 17 14:57:06 MDT 2005

Or just uninstall [gkxw]dm.  Note that this isn't an oversight or
mistake, it's just a choice. Debian maintainers decided that they
would let the system administrator have full reign over the runlevels
and not apply any meaning to them (for levels 2-5, obviously).

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 at 13:42 -0600, Louis Zirkel wrote:
> Stephen Ward wrote:
> >First Time Debian User Seeking Answers...
> >
> >In other distros, I seem to recall that if I change a certain value on
> >a certain line in /etc/inittab from a 5 to a 3, that sets my default
> >runlevel to 3, which has the most noticeable effect of not launching
> >the X server by default at bootup.
> >
> >Well, I just installed debian and noticed that boots to a graphical
> >login, of which I am not a big fan.  So I decided to muck with
> >/etc/inittab and noticed two things: 1) The runlevel value in there is
> >2 (what does that mean?), and 2) changing that value seems to have no
> >effect.
> >
> >Your thoughts?
> Under Debian the runlevel isn't used to handle the graphical login
> functionality.  It really comes down to whether xdm/gdm/kdm is being
> loaded. You can stop this behavior by removing them from the boot sequence
> using update-rc.d like this:
> update-rc.d -f gdm remove
> replacing gdm for whichever of the three is being loaded.  That should
> hopefully fix your problem.
> --
> Louis Zirkel III  <lzirkel at>
> SysAdmin/DBA -- Century Development Solutions
> /*
> PLUG:, #utah on

Hans Fugal ;
    -- Johann Sebastian Bach