Debian Runlevels

Stephen Ward sjward at
Mon Oct 17 12:39:03 MDT 2005

First Time Debian User Seeking Answers...

In other distros, I seem to recall that if I change a certain value on
a certain line in /etc/inittab from a 5 to a 3, that sets my default
runlevel to 3, which has the most noticeable effect of not launching
the X server by default at bootup.

Well, I just installed debian and noticed that boots to a graphical
login, of which I am not a big fan.  So I decided to muck with
/etc/inittab and noticed two things: 1) The runlevel value in there is
2 (what does that mean?), and 2) changing that value seems to have no

Your thoughts?

Ray tracing rules: