[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Oct 17 10:40:25 MDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 at 09:44 -0600, Ross Werner wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Michael Torrie wrote:
> >Hans knows a lot more of the cool features than I and he can probably
> >tell us how to do the block mark where you  block off a completely
> >rectangular section (ie exactly 10 columns wide, 30 rows high).
> >Sometimes that kind of copy and paste can be very useful.
>
> There actually three "visual modes" in vim: v, V (shift-v), and CTRL-V.
>
> v just highlights; V highlights lines at a time (you can't do partial
> lines); and CTRL-V highlights columns.

Some of my favorite idioms:

<c-v>jjjjjjjjjI#<esc> (also works with A)

ggVGd or ggVGy

/yomama<enter>vllllllllcyo mama<esc>n.n.n.

vjjjjjjjjjjjjjjokkkkkk

Try them out. Obviously you don't need to press the precise number of
movement keys I did there.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach