[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Oct 17 09:13:11 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 09:00 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Michael Torrie wrote:
> > I admit that the idea of using shift and arrow keys to highlight
> > something was a great idea and very easy to use once you learn how to
> > use it, although I prefer VI's visual mode now, because it is more
> > flexible.
>
> What is VI's visual mode?  I'm still using shift+arrow keys--mainly
> because they work everywhere (except VI.) :-)

Well to be honest, VI doesn't have a visual mode.  But VIm does.  You
just hit V and start moving the cursor.  The nice thing is that all the
vim cursor keys work (h,j,k,l), as  do the goto commands (gg, GG, ^, $,
etc).  Once you've visually selected the block, you can yank or cut or
replace as normal.  It's also possible to indent the block once it is
highlighted.

Hans knows a lot more of the cool features than I and he can probably
tell us how to do the block mark where you  block off a completely
rectangular section (ie exactly 10 columns wide, 30 rows high).
Sometimes that kind of copy and paste can be very useful.

Michael