ImageMagick to split up images

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Sat Oct 15 17:34:09 MDT 2005

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Dave Smith wrote:
>> This appears to be what I want, but when I run "convert -crop 200x200
>> myimage.jpg out.jpg", convert works and works, until it has used up over
>> 400MB of memory, and it's still not done (machine is 3.2GHz with 1Gb
>> RAM).
>
> Try: convert -crop 200x200+0+0 myimage.jpg out.jpg

I eventually had to find a machine with 8Gb of RAM to make it work, and
the command I ran was this:

   convert -crop 600x600 myimage.jpg tiles_%05d.jpg

And that created a whole bunch of 600x600 pixel tile images. The original
is over 20,000 pixels in height and width, and it only took about 10
seconds once I got enough RAM. convert used about 4Gb of RAM during the
process. Sweet.

--Dave