ImageMagick to split up images

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sat Oct 15 13:49:01 MDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Dave Smith wrote:
> This appears to be what I want, but when I run "convert -crop 200x200
> myimage.jpg out.jpg", convert works and works, until it has used up over
> 400MB of memory, and it's still not done (machine is 3.2GHz with 1Gb RAM).

Try: convert -crop 200x200+0+0 myimage.jpg out.jpg

On my machine with the biggest jpg I have (5400x7200) the command without
the +0+0 cranked away until it was in danger of locking up my system.
Running the same command with the +0+0 took about five seconds to run.

No idea why it would make such a different, but hope that helps. (You'll
need the offsets anyway to slice up the image into tiles.)

 	~ Ross