ImageMagick to split up images

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Sat Oct 15 10:34:34 MDT 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Dave Smith wrote:

> I've got some largish jpg files that I want to split into smaller jpg files.
> Can ImageMagick do this?

What do you mean by "split into smaller jpg files" exactly?

With ImageMagick you could write a script that would do something like:
automatically go through a directory of jpg files and create (say) four
new jpg files per original that are the first one split horizontally and
vertically ... is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

To do that I'd probably use "identify" to get the width and height in
pixels of the image, and then use "convert -crop" to split the thing up.
http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/graphics/imagick6/crop/index.html

 	~ Ross