[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Oct 14 20:37:55 MDT 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 7:31 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> I've heard this before, but honestly, how do you get anything done
> when your hands are tied to home row?  I don't know of any pianists
> that prefer a single octave. ;-)  I like to use as much of the
> keyboard as I can.

It'd be hard to use vi without using more than the home row!  You'd
have to remap everything to weird key chords, and you'd be even worse
off chord-wise than you'd be in emacs.  I thought the absence of key
chords was one of the major selling points of vi these days.

Given the key chording nature of emacs, I wonder if there's any
correlation between being trained to play the piano and a preference
for emacs over vim.  Probably nothing significant, but it'd be
interesting to see.

         --Levi