[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:36:52 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 15:06 -0600, Barry Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:11:24PM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> >
> > Again, intuitiveness is relative.
>
> I disagree.  No computer user interface is intuitive.  I like the old
> (in Internet years) saying that the only "intuitive" interface is the
> nipple.  Everything else is learned.

And as I mentioned, even this one is not intuitive in the sense that
it's known without any experience or knowledge; it's all learned.  But
intuitiveness is really a measurement of how easily someone can learn
something given a basic set of underlying operational principles.  So
yes, it is relative to those things.  And it certainly is possible to
make something more or less intuitive.  This is a fact that we simply
cannot dispute.  What is in dispute is the core assumptions that we each
base our idea of "intuitive" on.