[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Fri Oct 14 13:32:17 MDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 12:49:17PM -0600, Steve wrote:
> Neither ones keystroke combinations, are the least bit intuitive, and
> any time I have to stop and think about how to accomplish something in
> my text editor, that is time taken away from being productive and
> editing the text.

Ok, I'll give you that the movement keys aren't unless you think about
the home row where your hands are. But delete is 'd' (followed by a
movement key for how much, or another 'd' for a whole line). 'i' to
insert text, 'I' for insert at the start of a line, 'a' to append, 'A'
to append to a line. '/' to start a search (even firefox defaults to
that), 'n' to go to the next match, 'N' to go back a match. While there
are commands that I don't think are the most clear, I find that after
using 'vimtutor' I was able to edit as efficiently as a plain text
editor/ide, and now after learning more I am much more efficient.

> Maybe it's because growing up in the 80's, I cut my teeth on programs
> like edit, and quickbasic, that I expect a text editor to behave in
> some consistant fashion, and just be well, a text editor, this  is
> also the most likely reason that when I program I rarely have use for
> all the features of an IDE, and IDE's are essentially just glorified
> text editors 9/10 times they get fired up.

As a disclaimer, I used edit and quickbasic back in the day, and built
my first webpages in notepad. I started to use emacs in my early college
courses, and then read about vi, and looked into it. At least for me a
modal editor makes a lot of sense, and I'm able to edit text and code a
lot more efficiently.

That's been my experience, and I'll go back to lurking.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net