[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Oct 14 12:49:53 MDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:19:47AM -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Until you accidentally press a random key combination and you have
> no idea why the editor suddenly turned into a news reader.  Good
> luck getting back to your precious file.  It happened to me
> once. :-)

When one of my old college profs who first evangelized me into the
EMACS camp, one of the first things he said was, ``If you get into
trouble, just hit CTRL-G a bunch of times.'' More often than not, that
has been my saving grace. And when learning the ropes, I tend to
recommend XEMACS.

And the random key combo issue has turned out to be a mixed
blessing. On more than one occasion, I stumbled upon some nifty
feature entirely by accident.

Mike
The only dumb question is one you haven't asked yet.