[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:49:17 MDT 2005

Again my argument here is not against features.
My argument is for simplicity.  Primarily in the UI.
I would say I'm pretty far from being a newbie, but the previous
poster is correct, few things are more irritating than hitting some
combo of keys or another and having your editor turn into a
news-reader.  Furthermore VI while it most likely won't turn into a
newsreader, does suffer from the fact that it isn't easily accessible.
 By that I mean that VI functions like VI, very few programs share
VI's interface or lack thereof, which makes it a pain in the @$$ to
switch back and forth when needed.

Neither ones keystroke combinations, are the least bit intuitive, and
any time I have to stop and think about how to accomplish something in
my text editor, that is time taken away from being productive and
editing the text.

Maybe it's because growing up in the 80's, I cut my teeth on programs
like edit, and quickbasic, that I expect a text editor to behave in
some consistant fashion, and just be well, a text editor, this  is
also the most likely reason that when I program I rarely have use for
all the features of an IDE, and IDE's are essentially just glorified
text editors 9/10 times they get fired up.