[OT] Text Editor vs IDE aka ctrl-s froze VI

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Oct 14 10:02:47 MDT 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Steve wrote:

> I've never found the onesize fits all approach of emacs appealing, for
> my uses it does WAY too much, although that may be a boon to some
> people.

Not that I'm going to attempt to talk you into liking emacs, but that
argument just strikes me as funny.  It's not like emacs is
overflowing with buttons and controls like MS Word or Your Favorite
IDE.  You don't even have to know that its crazy features even exist
to use it.  I often fire up zile for simple text editing.  It's
certainly not over-featured, but it acts exactly like emacs does for
basic text editing.  One need not even know that emacs is capable of
more than that.

Really, who actually doesn't like extra features, as long as they're
not intrusive?  MS Word-style "I think you're trying to make a
bulleted list, so I'll do it for you!" features are annoying, but not
emacs-style "you have to look it up in the manual to know it's there"
features.

Emacs only does a lot of stuff because it's extensible and some
people found the stuff useful and contributed it.  Kind of like
eclipse and all the plugins you can get for it.  I can see not liking
it for whatever other reason, but not liking an editor because it's
extensible and featureful just strikes me as a really funny argument,
coming from this list.

         --Levi