ctrl-s froze VI

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Oct 13 07:58:23 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 02:23 -0600, Steve wrote:
> Well no, not really.
> If you are using a basic text editor for editing configuration files,
> simple scripts etc, there's just really not much point in having all
> of those features.
> Now if your developing an application I can see that, but honestly
> I'ld rather use a fullfledged IDE.
> Look at it like the difference between a swiss army knife and a proper toolbox.

Must... resist... flame war...   Darn those provocative emacs users,
baiting us into another flame war! :)  We all know linux is a better
operating system than emacs.  But oh well.

Well as far as simple editing goes, that's what I do most of the time.
And simple features like syntax highlighting are pretty much essential
to keeping my sanity.  I didn't know until recently that nano supported
such things.

Also regular expressions in search and replace are also essential for
me.

I used to use pico and nano back in the day when I was learning linux.
The single biggest frustration I used to have was how pico (and
subsequently nano) handled line wrapping by default.  I'm sure nano's
defaults are far more sane now than they used to be.

In short, vim for me is very small, fast, and light and ideal for
everything from small script editing to large programming projects.  I
haven't used an IDE in years.  I think eclipse is great if they'd only
put it in some vi key bindings. :)