ctrl-s froze VI

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Oct 12 16:31:57 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 15:51 -0600, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > Just a thought but ctrl+alt+F2
> > killall vi
>
> This is akin to someone asking the question, "I put my car in 'N' with the
> shifter and now it won't go anywhere. What do I do?" and the answer being,
> "Torch the car. Buy a new one."

Ahh.  The Microsoft way.

I have driven a John Deere tractor with a completely computer-controlled
and shifted transmission.  Every once in a while the gear shift level
would get out of sync with the transmission's current gear.  Shifting to
neutral would fix that.  Sometimes, however, the computer would stop
responding to the gear shift level and refuse to put the tractor into
gear (never had the opposite problem, thank goodness).  To fix that
required turning the key off and back on, rebooting the control
computers.  I believe John Deere finally fixed that with a firmware
update.  Ahh what Microsoft has done to us.