Google and Sun

Greg Felix gregfelix at airwired.net
Wed Oct 5 16:58:28 MDT 2005

> 1) Substantial performance gain on identical hardware.
> 2) An ABI that hasn't changed in over a decade.  If you download a
> sound driver for Solaris 10 today, it will work with Solaris 15 (or
> whatever) unchanged.  This is a major frustration for me with Linux
> kernel upgrades.  I have Cisco and nVidia binary drivers that I have
> to contend with on every little point release update.
> 3) Significantly faster bootup times -- I think OpenSuse 10 is doing
> something similar though.
> 4) Integrated virtualization -- similar to Xen or VMWare.

> 5) Consistency.  There is one Solaris/OpenSolaris.  There are 500+
> linux distros -- 99% of which have incompatible packaging systems,
> library versions, filesystem layouts, etc.  Granted that consistency
> can be achived by sticking with Redhat/Fedora only, or Debian only, or
> whatever.
>
> If Solaris was just the name of another Linux distro that provided all
> of the benefits I've listed above, wouldn't you want to try it?  Is it
> the Sun thing that turns you off?

You are contradicting yourself in the two paragraphs above. The first
claims that Solaris gives consistency and the second one lumps trying
Solaris in with the inconsistency that using multiple Linux distros can
introduce.  Which I think is what Michael was trying to stay away from.
He probably currently has multiple boxes all using just one distribution
= for him trying Solaris gives him nothing BUT inconsistency.

As for the rest of the items:
4. He already has VMware
3. How important really is bootup time on a stable Linux box.
2. I don't know enough to argue with you about this one, but it seems to
me vendors of new hardware nowadays write drivers for Windows first and
Linux second.  Solaris comes in at least third.
1. Do you have numbers on how much performance gain?  I'd be interested
in hearing more.

Greg