Email using domainkeys and spf

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 07:35:45 MDT 2005

On 9/30/05, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> Do you all find that you need to set up your mail servers using these
> two (domainkeys and spf) methods for verifying non-spam?
>
> I don't get any complaints on my personal mail server but a company that
> I know reports that their emails are marked as "bulk mail" my yahoo and
> others.  I helped them set up spf but they find that yahoo still
> requires domainkeys.  They both seem like a bit of a hack.

I've done a lot of business in the area of email marketing and have
found that a lot of the free email providers actually rely on real
user interaction (Mark as spam, this is not spam etc) and it will take
an average of how many users do that to figure out where to put mail
from a particular host.  Aol is one such company.  Also, the more
successful email you send from the same host/ip the better your
whitelist score and the more likely you will be to get put into their
INBOX than in the Bulk Mail folder.

     SPF is only good for companies that send critical mail to avoid
ILLEGAL spoofing.  I really don't believe its for cutting down spam at
all, SPF just cuts down on ILLEGAL spam where people try to spoof your
EBAY account is being shutdown, or paypal is being audited but you
need to give them your login and password .. etc.

Hope that helps!

--
-- Matthew Frederico
http://www.ultrize.com