Never a Doh! moment.

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Wed Nov 30 14:26:27 MST 2005

A month or so ago I was trying to get /home mounted via NFS for all the
machines at the office. Somehow I had messed up the ownership permissions
for my home directory, though, so to correct it I did:

# cd ~ross
# chown -R ross.ross *

That worked fine, but then I realized that * didn't get all the (hidden)
dot-files in my home directory. So then I did:

# chown -R ross.ross .*

That whirred away for quite a while--considerably longer than I thought it
was supposed to take, but it was over NFS, so maybe that's why it was
taking so long.

Later that day someone discovered that *all* the files in /home were owned
by me. I was trying to figure out what on earth happened when I remembered
the command I had typed earlier that day that had taken so long to execute
... and then I remembered that .* also matches .. and when taken in
conjuction with the recursive -R flag ... D'oh!

 	~ Ross