Easiest way to remote access files?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Nov 29 19:06:03 MST 2005

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:35:54AM -0700, Steve wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>At home I'm running SuSE 10
>>I have a server I've just leased running Gentoo.
>

>>Or even better, just open the code up on the server from within my
>>own IDE.
>

> emacs' TRAMP mode will do this transparently. Your choice of transport
> and security protocols. I use it routinely to edit files on boxen a
> thousand miles away.

And if you're a vim user, vim scp://remote//path/to/file

But really, you want a revision control system. My preference is darcs,
here's an example of the most common commands:

server:~/foo$ darcs initialize; darcs add *; darcs record
client:~$ darcs get server:foo
client:~$ vim foo.c
client:~$ darcs record; darcs push
server:~$ vim foo.c; darcs record