Remote Desktop

Mitch Anderson mitch at metauser.net
Tue Nov 29 18:59:54 MST 2005

Ryan Bowman wrote:
> At work we our primary environment is Windows, but we have recently moved a
> couple to Linux (SUSE 9.3).  I've installed cygwin with X so I can ssh into
> the linux boxes when I need to, but lead programmed has expressed dislike at
> having (what he sees as) widely different methods for accessing and
> administering the different servers, which brings me to my question: is
> there a program more like Remote Desktop Connection (than cygwin/ssh -X/kde)
> that we could use to connect to the Linux server from a windows box and in
> reverse (not as important)?

There are many choices... and yet another one is vino:

Summary     : A remote desktop system for GNOME
Description :
Vino is a VNC server for GNOME. It allows remote users to
connect to a running GNOME session using VNC.

This I believe will connect you to the running desktop (assuming your
the same user) much like remote desktop... actually in Gnome, its under
"Desktop -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop"

Least this is the way it is in Fedora Core 4... would imagine Suse 9.3
isn't much different (other than maybe they used a better name than
"desktop" for the top menu)

Mitch