Remote Desktop

Nicholas Leippe nick at byu.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:29:58 MST 2005

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 03:52 pm, Ryan Bowman wrote:
> Hi,
> It's been about a year and half ago that I stopped using Linux and
> unsubscribed to this list, but I have since begun administrating a couple
> of Linux servers at work and have started both myself and my wife on Linux
> at home.
>
> At work we our primary environment is Windows, but we have recently moved a
> couple to Linux (SUSE 9.3).  I've installed cygwin with X so I can ssh into
> the linux boxes when I need to, but lead programmed has expressed dislike
> at having (what he sees as) widely different methods for accessing and
> administering the different servers, which brings me to my question: is
> there a program more like Remote Desktop Connection (than cygwin/ssh
> -X/kde) that we could use to connect to the Linux server from a windows box
> and in reverse (not as important)?

Well, you can always just use X, since you've got it on windows:

ssh <target linux box> -fXY "startkde" -l<linux_box_user>

will start a kde session with the display on the local X server.

KDE has other desktop sharing features built-in, it may be possible to assume
control of another, running kde session this way.  (I haven't played with it
much, but there is a 'switch-user' and 'lock session' feature that I'm
guessing will show up in the kdm login as options.)

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC