Remote Desktop

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Nov 29 16:12:54 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 15:52 -0700, Ryan Bowman wrote:
> Hi,
> It's been about a year and half ago that I stopped using Linux and
> unsubscribed to this list, but I have since begun administrating a couple of
> Linux servers at work and have started both myself and my wife on Linux at
> home.
>
> At work we our primary environment is Windows, but we have recently moved a
> couple to Linux (SUSE 9.3).  I've installed cygwin with X so I can ssh into
> the linux boxes when I need to, but lead programmed has expressed dislike at
> having (what he sees as) widely different methods for accessing and
> administering the different servers, which brings me to my question: is
> there a program more like Remote Desktop Connection (than cygwin/ssh -X/kde)
> that we could use to connect to the Linux server from a windows box and in
> reverse (not as important)?

There is a program (not sure what it is called) that can bridge X to
VNC.  In other words, it's just like vncserver for windows, but for
linux .  It lets you see and interact with your current X desktop
running on the remote machine.

Or you can just run vncserver by itself on linux, but when you start it,
it creates a new desktop just for the remote user.

Finally there is FreeNX.  But like vncserver, it creates a new desktop
for the remote user, like Microsoft's Terminal Services.

I can't say I understand where you lead programmer is coming from.  I
wonder what he is doing messing with administration stuff anyway.  You
may want to point out to him that Linux and Windows are very different
operating systems.  They are administered in very different ways.  I do
not allow any GUIs to run on my linux servers ever.  I administer the
machines via ssh exclusively (scripting and so forth).  The nice thing
about unix is that over ssh you can run graphical admin tools, but
having an actual gui desktop running is unnecessary.

> I'm mostly just curious, it's not really a big deal, I've actually setup
> cygwin for a non-techie to use and she doesn't have any problems with it.

Yeah I use cygwin all the time for administering windows machines.  In
fact I'd rather they all worked like linux.  I don't like the windows
way of administrating at all (remote desktops etc).  I ssh into my
windows machines and use sysinternals tools to monitor processes,
reboot, install programs (yes), etc.