Easiest way to remote access files?

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Tue Nov 29 08:24:40 MST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Steve wrote:
> Basically it would like to achieve an effect something similar to Zends ZDE.
> Since I'm the only developer I feel that setting up a full blown CVS
> would be WAY to much hassle.

If your IDE has CVS integration then "setting up a full-blown CVS", at
least the server part, is probably far easier than you imagine. And even
being the only developer, CVS gives you a lot of advantages.

Here's how you do it:

(on whatever machine you want to call the server)
1) cvs -d /some/dir/cvsroot init

(wherever your code is)
2) export CVSROOT=user at host.com:/some/dir/cvsroot/
    export CVS_RSH=ssh
(note that "host.com" is whatever server machine from step 1)
    cd /path/to/project/files/
    cvs import -m "Initial project message" myprojectname mycompany start

That's it! Now open up your IDE and use normal ssh authentication to
access the repository from both machines. Because everything runs over
ssh, you don't have to set up any sort of cvs server (other than "cvs -d
/some/path/ init"), don't have to mess with firewalls, basically you don't
have to do anything.

 	~ Ross