sending sms messages

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 28 17:39:11 MST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:22:32PM -0700, bibhor dhungel wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to set up a cron job that regularly sends SMS messages. I looked
> around and Kannel seems like the right answer, but installing it through Yum
> or a rpm has not been much help. When I install through yum i cannot find
> the configuration file nor the daemon to start the service. When trying to
> install through rpm i have the same problem. I saw an ozeki linux SMS server
> but its a bit pricey and i am not sure if that will solve the problem too.

"rpm -ql <package-name>" will tell you what files have been installed
and where.

If it's been packaged correctly, the config file is probably in /etc,
with kannel.conf a likely name. The startup file is probably in
/etc/rc.d/initrd, with a likely name of kannel. You will probably need
to set it up to run in appropriate run levels.

> Does any one have experience setting up some open source SMS server. I am
> running fedora core2.

It's probably time to upgrade, as FC4 is current, and FC5 in testing.