Is LDAP the answer?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Nov 28 16:19:12 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 16:15 -0700, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> > Your needs are very basic since you won't be needing
> > authentication, which
> > is where LDAP gets hairy. If all you want is an address book, both
> > OpenLDAP and FDS should get you going quite well.
>
> Our org is really quite small (8 employees - only 3 really *need*
> access to the address book).  One question I have not seen a clear
> answer for:  If I want to allow my users to create/modify/delete
> contacts info in the LDAP server, that will require auth, no?  Is
> that the hairiness of which you speak?

If you want to use OpenLDAP, then yes you will have to authenticate.
Anonymous users are prohibited in the code (regardless of any ACLs) from
making writes to the database. Honestly I don't think that'll be an
issue. You can just set your client to remember the password if that's
what you want.

Corey