Is LDAP the answer?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Mon Nov 28 13:32:30 MST 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Kimball Larsen wrote:
>> Ok, well, I guess it's time for me to dig into some research and
>> trials and let you all know how I get on.
>> Perhaps a tutorial would be in order, if enough interest is shown.
>
> Here's a page to get you started.  It's the list of Groupware
> servers that Kontact supports, many of them open source.  Look at
> Kolab in particular, which appears to be compatible with Outlook:
>
> http://www.kontact.org/groupwareservers.php

Unfortunately, to connect Outlook to this server requires a
proprietary plugin. :(

In addition to the above, I read some or all of the following:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ActiveDirectoryHowto
http://librenix.com/?inode=2288  (IBM id (free, but still) required
to read this article)

This last one appears to be the best way for me to go, adopting the
RedHat centric instructions to Ubuntu.

Hopefully I'll have a working LDAP server up this afternoon with
minimal fuss.

-- Kimball