Fwd: CD Backups

Ross Werner ross at agilestudios.com
Thu Nov 24 19:36:32 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Hans Fugal wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 at 12:06 -0500, Matthew Frederico wrote:
>> I think the first question you need to ask yourself the question "Why"
>> you are backing files up.
>
> I agree. In my case, it's redundancy of important don't-lose-it data.
> Another hard drive would be fine, if it's external to the system (as in,
> one electrical mishap won't fry both drives), however too expensive.

Is this "too expensive" as in Newegg's cheapest drive ($44 20GB) is too
expensive, or "too expensive" as in you don't have another external box on
your local network to put this hypothetical cheap drive in?

Either way, I really think the extra hard drive route is going to be
cheapest. Getting a CD-R/RW solution set up, and manually managing backups
(you have to have someone manually sticking discs into the drive) is going
to be quite expensive in terms of your time. Finding a drive to plop in
a box on your local network and sticking rsync in your crontab is going to
be far easier and far more reliable. And easier to recover from as well.

If you're so strapped for cash that you can't afford a cheap drive, for
the amount of data you're needing to copy (CD-RW size) I'd see if any
pluggers have an old 2gb or 4gb drive that they'd sell you for $10.

 	~ Ross