Fwd: CD Backups

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Nov 23 12:18:29 MST 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:40:42AM -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> Good ideas, but...
>
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 at 09:16 -0700, Derek Davis wrote:
> > Why does it have to be CD-RW?
>
> It could be CDR, but then you end up with coasters. I like the reuse
> idea of CD-RW. Why CD? Because that's the most common decent-sized
> cheap removeable media thing going on. DVD would be fine too, if I had a
> DVD writer.

We had a discussion a few months ago here about a USB DVD burner. You
can find decent DVD burners for ~$40, and a USB clamshell for another
~$40, and away you go. Or skip the USB clamshell and back up over your
net.

Then media, of course. I like DVD+RW because you don't have to stream
the data to the burner. It handles gaps in the data. That's important
on USB.

I'm working on a perl script to solve exactly this problem. It uses
tar and then slices and dices to DVD size, then burns the first one
for you. But it is very configurable. Once I have something I'll
annouce it here and you can carp, er, comment on it.

The reason I went for tar over a live file system (one of your
requirements) is that I'm lazy. Tar solves the problem of squeezing as
much data as possible on to each of several DVDs (if neecessary)
without doing a lot of coding.