CD Backups

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 10:40:01 MST 2005

--- Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> The recent thread on backups put a guilt trip on me, and I
> figure I ought to start backing up my home system. However I
> haven't found a backup system I like. My modest requirements
> are these: (at least, I think they're modest)

<snip>

I've used a couple of different backup methodologies, with
varying degrees of success:

- I tried Mondo once, and it made me a nice set of CD-Rs, but the
  restore didn't work. That was a couple of years ago on Red Hat
  7.3, the problem is probably fixed now (but I haven't tried it
  again).
- I have an external hard drive, but I've never found a
  filesystem (other than FAT) that works with all of my operating
  systems. I suppose I should just format the thing in UFS2
  (FreeBSD), attach it to the server and export it over NFS for
  access from my other BSD and Linux systems and my Powerbook.
  If I need to back anything up from my wife's Windows box, it's
  probably already on the server via Samba anyway, or I can use
  Knoppix and do it over NFS.
- Much of the data that I need to back up is very static, and I
  have copies of most of it on DVD+R discs. I see no reason to
  back that data up repeatedly, although I probably would include
  it on the external hard drive.

I see no reason at all to have my backup DVDs be bootable -- in
fact, I'd rather not.  I don't care about backing up FreeBSD,
Tiger or Windows: I can reinstall those easily.  The only things
I really need backed up are user data, a few configuration files
(DNS, DHCP, pf.conf, postfix, ...), and data from /var/mail,
/var/db/mysql and /usr/local/www.

I would love, on the other hand, to have a good way to produce
a clean system image (something analogous to  Ghost) for a
FreeBSD installation, that I could use to quickly set up multiple
more or less identical systems.