Fwd: CD Backups

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Nov 23 10:32:14 MST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 at 12:06 -0500, Matthew Frederico wrote:
> I think the first question you need to ask yourself the question "Why"
> you are backing files up.

I agree. In my case, it's redundancy of important don't-lose-it data.
Another hard drive would be fine, if it's external to the system (as in,
one electrical mishap won't fry both drives), however too expensive.

> Second question is "What" are you backing up?

Stuff that can't be replaced without considerable time, or at all. This
does not include my music collection, the system files, etc. It may
include config files (/etc), and large things like digital camera
pictures and audio files I create will be backed up independently.
(because making a CD of just images or audio makes a lot of sense)

> (Incidentally, It's already been through the wash a couple of times,
> and it has come out working perfectly.)

My jump drive went swimming with me once. I thought it was hosed, but
after a good drip dry and a bit of persistence (refusing to believe that
the data was unrecoverable), it recovered nicely and has worked fine
ever since.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach