Fwd: CD Backups

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Wed Nov 23 09:39:23 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 09:16 -0700, Derek Davis wrote:
> Why does it have to be CD-RW?  I've set up an rsync backup that
> automatically makes daily snapshots to a machine I have in the
> basement and works very well for me.  If you want something more
> portable, you could get a cheap, external hard drive and do the same
> thing.

This is kinda like what I have done.

You get an external USB enclosure with a 200 Gig drive and plug it into
the system that you are backing up.  Run your rsync script (which is
also stored on the USB drive for convenience) to copy over the bulk of
the data.  Now that you have copied over the initial 150 Gigs (or
whatever you have) you unplug the drive and take it to another server
off-site and plug it in there.  Now you just run the script nightly from
its new location and your data is kept nice and fresh.  If you ever need
to retrieve your data the USB drive makes it easy to move it back to
your site.

Add a pinch of cron and ssh with keys and you're all set.

This has worked well for me and helps me sleep better at night.

Gabe