CD Backups

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Nov 23 07:32:48 MST 2005

The recent thread on backups put a guilt trip on me, and I figure I
ought to start backing up my home system. However I haven't found a
backup system I like. My modest requirements are these: (at least, I
think they're modest)

- Use CD-RW
  - Ideally they should be mountable, i.e. no huge tarballs split across
    CDs
  - Ideally they should be bootable, with needed recovery tools
  - Definitely fault-tolerable (lose one CD, all you lost was the data
    on it)
- Be able to specify which files to include and/or exclude
- Simple to use
- CD waste is bad, but human time waste during periodic backups is
  worse. Periodic when-I-want-to reclamation is ok.

I've found some stuff that does some of this, but nothing that does it
all. What do you all use?

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach