Making Python run fast on a slow machine?

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Tue Nov 22 14:32:02 MST 2005

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:19:05 -0700 (MST), "Dave Smith"
> Hmm, 1s sounds slow for interpreter startup, even at 100MHz.  Are you
> sure you're not swapping?
>
> If you're not, pseudo-Python native code generators like Pyrex and
> Shedskin are probably your only hope.  Or perhaps a less-demanding
> language entirely.  (Lua, perhaps?)

I'm definitely not swapping. I've got 64MB RAM and only about 20MB are
used according to free.

Thanks for the note about Shedskin. I tried it out, and while it looks
like a good idea on paper, in practice it wouldn't work with my app since
it doesn't support the os and commands modules. Pyrex looks like overkill
for me since I'd have to re-write the my Python app in their "special"
language.

This app is small, so I may end up writing it in C for production. And, to
be specific, my box is running at 77MHz.

I'd rather not install yet another language on the box (like Lua), since
I'd have to cross-compile it and work it into my filesystem/toolchain,
which is a bit time-consuming.

Good comments. I'm learning a lot and loving Python.

--Dave