Making Python run fast on a slow machine?

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Tue Nov 22 13:19:05 MST 2005

I've got a sub-100MHz Linux machine on which I am running some Python
applications. Python's great, but at 100MHz it feels like Java at 1.0GHz.
It takes about 1 second just to start up the interpreter, and about
another half second to read the system uptime, read a bit from a localhost
socket, and print out some HTML. I would rather this took 0 seconds. I've
tried compiling my script into byte code with py_compile and -O, but it
only saved me about 0.1 seconds. I'm using Python version 2.4 on a 2.4.26
kernel on a PowerPC if you must know. Any ideas to speed up the snake? I
think the Python code is good because my 2.4GHz machine runs it without
any observable delay.

Thanks in advance!

--Dave

P.S. If this sounds like fun work to you, send me your resume.