question about memory usage in linux

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Nov 22 10:28:11 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:13 -0700, Gregory Hill wrote:
> I never said 'kernel leak', nor did I imply it. I'm not sure why both
> replies mention that.  I assumed a process leak, or a possible
> compromise of the box with hidden processes.  I'm just trying to figure
> out how to narrow it down.

If a process is leaking then that memory will be recovered as soon as
the process is killed. You had mentioned killing processes and still not
seeing memory come back, so the logical conclusion is a kernel leak.
Luckily, it just turned out to be rather unintuitive (but desirable)
memory allocation and reporting.

Corey