question about memory usage in linux

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Tue Nov 22 10:19:22 MST 2005

> That's good. Trust me, you don't ever want to have a rootkit.

Yeah, I'm happy about that, too.  I try to make the box secure, but I
don't have the time to keep up as much as I'd like.

> This looks quite normal. You have 1 gig of RAM. 196836 bytes of it s
> being used by processes. Another 782984 bytes of it is being used for
> buffers and cache. That's the aggressive caching I referred to. So
while
> it looks like only 51MB is free, the kernel can easily allocate any of
> that cache memory, so you really have 834120 bytes free.

I wasn't aware of the 'free' command before you sent it.  Ah, my
ignorance begins to show :)  That's both what I hate and love about
linux; there's so many things that you never learn until someone
mentions them like you should've known they existed all along.

I guess at this point, I need to write a monitoring script that will
alert me whenever things start going south.

Thanks,
Greg