Complete backup of Linux install

Stuart Jansen sjansen at
Mon Nov 21 13:53:35 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 13:49 -0700, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 13:17 -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> > Xen?  Are you referring to this Xen:
> >

> Main site:
> You could do a file backed VM and make snapshots of the file as you need
> to.  Restoring a whole system would be as easy as `cp sys1.backup sys1`.
> Ubiquitous Xen is going to make things sweet for sysadmins.

I doubt it'll be that perfect. For example, I highly doubt that you can
achieve database integrity without involving the database software in
the process. (Migrating a running system is a different story, that is
possible if done correctly.)

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at
* ^From:.*sjansen@