Sun Rising?

Justin Findlay jfindlay at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 23:43:18 MST 2005

On 11/17/05, Michael Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> It's not compatible with the linux kernel licensing.  ZFS is under the
> CDDL, as is the entire OpenSolaris OS.  I suppose someone could make ZFS
> as a kernel module.

Why, why, oh why did they do that?  Bad Sun, very, very bad.  As much
as I like the GPL this flaunting of sweet technology morally isolated
from all GPL'd software by legal decree is almost enough to make a man
shirk his principles.

"We're Sun and we've got the CDDL.  GPL?  We don't want no GPL.  We
want a ponderous rift in the open source community."

It's not about the licenses, duh, it's about the code.  It's about
being able to stand on giants' shoulders.

Justin

--
Wir müssen wissen. Wir werden wissen.