Sun Rising?

Justin Findlay jfindlay at
Thu Nov 17 23:43:18 MST 2005

On 11/17/05, Michael Torrie <torriem at> wrote:
> It's not compatible with the linux kernel licensing.  ZFS is under the
> CDDL, as is the entire OpenSolaris OS.  I suppose someone could make ZFS
> as a kernel module.

Why, why, oh why did they do that?  Bad Sun, very, very bad.  As much
as I like the GPL this flaunting of sweet technology morally isolated
from all GPL'd software by legal decree is almost enough to make a man
shirk his principles.

"We're Sun and we've got the CDDL.  GPL?  We don't want no GPL.  We
want a ponderous rift in the open source community."

It's not about the licenses, duh, it's about the code.  It's about
being able to stand on giants' shoulders.

Wir müssen wissen. Wir werden wissen.