Sun Rising?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Nov 17 23:20:31 MST 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 at 23:07 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 17:18 -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:
> > I have to admit, with the exception of the Google non-event, I've been
> > really impressed with the announcements coming from Sun lately.
> >
> > Galaxy opterons look awesome.  Postgres, Xen, and ZFS in OpenSolaris
> > 10 is exciting.  I want a Linux port of ZFS.
> >
> > I don't know if they'll be able to make money with all these things
> > but they sure look geeky and cool.
> >
> > Anybody used OpenSolaris lately?  Latest time I tried Slowaris x86
> > (8.x) it was a real chore.  How's their source licensing?
> >
> > Just wondering what y'all think,
>
> I didn't see your comment before I just posted mine.  Sorry about that.
> Anyway.  yes it is major. MAJOR.  HUGE.
>
> It's not compatible with the linux kernel licensing.  ZFS is under the
> CDDL, as is the entire OpenSolaris OS.  I suppose someone could make ZFS
> as a kernel module.

Certainly does look cool. Just a brief look at their license (e.g.
read parts of the license FAQ) looks like it would be fine as a
separately-distributed module (it may taint the kernel, but nvidia users
don't care about that). They also say somewhere there that it was
designed to run in user space (for testing) and kernel space, so that
sounds like it oughtn't be too hard to mold into a linux module, if the
necessary access points are there.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach