Sun Rising?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Nov 17 23:07:54 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 17:18 -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:
> I have to admit, with the exception of the Google non-event, I've been
> really impressed with the announcements coming from Sun lately.
>
> Galaxy opterons look awesome.  Postgres, Xen, and ZFS in OpenSolaris
> 10 is exciting.  I want a Linux port of ZFS.
>
> I don't know if they'll be able to make money with all these things
> but they sure look geeky and cool.
>
> Anybody used OpenSolaris lately?  Latest time I tried Slowaris x86
> (8.x) it was a real chore.  How's their source licensing?
>
> Just wondering what y'all think,

I didn't see your comment before I just posted mine.  Sorry about that.
Anyway.  yes it is major. MAJOR.  HUGE.

It's not compatible with the linux kernel licensing.  ZFS is under the
CDDL, as is the entire OpenSolaris OS.  I suppose someone could make ZFS
as a kernel module.

Certainly I'd like to see this technology in Linux.  Otherwise my file
servers will by running Solaris in the next year.

Michael