Gentoo and nVidia drivers

Mitch Anderson mitch at
Thu Nov 17 19:00:05 MST 2005

Over the last week, I've installed a Gentoo box on a slow Duron 800 with
an nVidia FX5200.  Everythings been going fine except now I'm trying to
get X up and running with the nVidia driver.  I've installed the
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, all goes fine.  I can get kdm to start up
just fine with the driver set to "nv" but when I change it to "nvidia" X
takes up 99% of the processor with no sign of ever giving it back.  Just
wondering if anyone has some pointers on what I've done wrong with the
kernel/nvidia configs?

I've been following a couple how-to's (mostly the gentoo handbook) and this:

And some kernel options here:

I've tried with the agpgart compiled as a module, in the kernel, and not
at all.  All have the same result... faik

Ideas? other howtos?  I can post or make available my kernel config and
other use variables if needed.